Thursday, January 18, 2007

Phrasebooks

I lived in a bunch of different countries and each time I try to make an effort to learn the language. It doesn't always work, but at least I try. Anyways, in order to function properly in the least amount of time, it will take a lot more than textbooks. That is why I like to keep a phrasebook around in case I need to go to the post office or order at a restaurant or something. Personally, I like the Lonely Planet phrasebooks. It seems to be the only textbook that goes beyond hotel reservation phrases. They include sections like art or sports or any number of phrases to help anyone who will stay in the area longer than a one week trip. Anyways, I study the texts at home, but take the phrasebook when I go out to make sure I can refer to something quickly in case I get in over my head....which is almost everytime I leave the house in Hong Kong.

No comments: