Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sailing

About two weeks ago, I tried out sailing for the first time. It was much more easier than windsurfing and I began to better understand the concept of controlling the wind. Of course that doesn't mean that I didn't capsize more than a few times. I enjoyed this much more than windsurfin since I spent more time on the boat than in the water. It still wasn't easy and I have a lot to learn, but I think I'd like to stick with it. One of the problems I had was reversing the direction of the boat since it includes going directly into the wind or directly away from the wind. In either case, the sail will catch the wind and if you are not careful you can stall or find yourself in the water. When turning the boat downwind to reverse direction, it is especially dangerous since the sail will catch the wind hard and swing very quickly to the otherside. It was more than once that I got conked in the head. I thought I was doing something wrong, but the instructor said it wasn't a big deal. I was just too tall for the boat. This just means that I suck at sailing just a little less than I thought. Definitely want to try it again.

No comments: