Monday, September 03, 2007

Integrated Korean: Advanced Intermediate 1 (Review)

There is a significant jump between the Intermediate books and the Advanced Intermediate books. Up until now, the previous books were pretty easy going, but this next one really upped the ante. The dialogues and readings are a lot longer, the vocab for each chapter is pretty extensive, and the grammar comes at you non-stop. This book covers a variety of topics that go beyond the usual beginner blather (The weather is really nice, isn't it?) and covers a lot of ground in terms of vocabulary and grammar. In other words, this book really starts getting into the nitty gritty. The English sections covering culture has also been removed. Probably in order to make room for all those pages of vocab and grammar.

Complaints are the same; random unintroduced words scattered here and there throughout the book. But then again, it could just be my lack of retention from the previous 4 books. Anyways, all in all, I really enjoyed this book; it really allowed me to begin sinking my teeth into the language.

1 comment:

Chris Buchman said...

Hi, found your review of this book on google. I'm enrolled in a Korea studies ma program for the fall and I want to get a heads up as to the difficulty level of this book so I'll know how much to prepare! Is there any way you could post a couple paragraphs from one of the reading sections from the book? or email them to me at the_f0rmula@yahoo.com? That might be better if you don't mind. Thanks!